Monday, April 20, 2009

Despair

I don't know if this 365 project is even worth it at times.  The pressure to come up with a shot every day that I feel good about is extremely difficult. I threaten to quit it every day but for some reason I still do it every day. I enjoy photography and I feel like I am getting better at both taking pictures and working with them in Photoshop. But some days it feels forced and becomes a burden. It is hard to be creative everyday, to find the time to do this. I feel like I am ignoring other responsibilities and especially my family. I am being selfish. I think that if I just take pics every couple of days and spend time with them that it would be better but I know myself and that time apart would become longer and longer and I would hate myself for eventually quitting. So, I will keep doing it for now...but who knows about tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. I feel your angst Rich. Last night's photo of the crocodile was a "skin of my teeth" shot. I try to do the computer work on my pictures when the kids are in bed. The commenting is done at the same time. But sometimes I feel like I am neglecting my family and work around the house just like you do.

    We are almost a third of the way through the year. We need to hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a rule to the 365 days that you have to use pics from that specific day?
    Just a suggestion, try not to pressure yourself by thinking it has to be perfect (I don't know if you are doing that, I'm just saying in case you are) Try thinking of it as fun like you are documenting a piece of your life that will never be captured or replicated again, something that will be there forever that you and your family can look back on with fond memories.
    I hope you hang in there, your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Sujomi and Lily!

    And I enjoy every picture you´ve shot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich,ditto to Sujomi and Lily. There I take photos when I see them and use them when needed. I didn't bind myself to getting "that shot" every day. Sunday and last night's posts were taken on Saturday. I don't always use a photo I took on the specific day.

    Hey, this is really supposed to be a pressure-free and enjoyable experience for you. Your photos are terrific and, like Lily said, just consider it like a photo diary for yourself to look back on one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain - it's tough to be "creative" every day and post a photograph. I do enjoy your photos. My son has been doing this for 2 years now and he has mentioned the same thing about the pressure. His wife sometimes stays with us on Mondays and on one of those visits I was running around the house taking pictures of "stuff" - she commented that Stephen can frequently be found running around the house taking pictures of "stuff" - that last minute effort to provide a photo. And, it is those pictures that are some of the more interesting. I enjoy the project because it makes me look at my world a bit differently and at the same time I'm looking at your world, Benton's world and host of others. Hang in there - enjoy the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your photos, and look forward to what you share each day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice. i truly appreciate it. i am so sorry i don't always get to your blogs. I need to make more time for that as you are all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete